The WCDR Board is seeking to fill the following positions in 2017:
- RoundTable Coordinator
- Speaker Coordinator
- PR/Social Media
This form may be copied, or additional forms can be obtained from the Secretary. Nominations must be received by email or delivered in person by 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
to sit on the Board of Directors for a period of two years as:…………………………….
(you may nominate yourself, if you wish)
Nominee consent has been obtained (please circle or highlight one):
Please submit this completed nomination form to the President, Jenny Madore at president@WCDR.org.
on, or before, 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
For Secretary’s use only:
Membership verified for candidate: _________________
Membership verified for nominator: _________________
Volunteer Board Positions Opening up in June 2017
Descriptions of the Open WCDR Board Roles
- The President will:
- when present, preside at all meetings of the board and at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and sit, ex-officio, as a member of all committees and subcommittees of the Corporation;
- be responsible for the general management and supervision of all affairs and operations of the Corporation;
- with the Secretary or Secretary-Treasurer, or other officer appointed by the board, sign all minutes and by-laws, other documents and cheques;
- welcome members and guests at membership meetings and officiate throughout these meetings; and
- facilitate both internal and external communications regarding all aspects of the Corporation, consistent with the mandates of the Corporation
In the absence of the President, the Vice-President, or such other director as the board may appoint for the purpose, will assume the duties of the President.
Presidents serving a term of at least one (1) year may, upon assuming the role of Past-President, become an honorary member of the Corporation at the discretion of the Board
- Chair meetings
- Schedule meetings; along with board, determine dates and venues
- Request agenda items, prepare agenda and distribute at meeting
- Call for a vote when necessary
- Preside at AGM and other general meetings
- Supervise preparation of Annual Report with Treasurer and input from board
- Prepare podium agenda, and introduce speaker if needed
- Host RoundTable meetings and other events as required
- Prepare member kudos for podium
- Make announcements as necessary
- General management and supervision
- Take on or assign board duties as required
- Ensure efforts are in concert with goals, objectives, and aspirations of membership
- Word Weaver Liaison
- Check Word Weaver content prior to publication to ensure material is accurate and conveys appropriate message (does not imply copy editing)
- Write or designate the Message from the Board for each issue
- Serve as contact person for Word Weaver editor
- Public voice
- Act as an ambassador for the WCDR
- The Treasurer will attend meetings of the board and ensure that the following are done:
- full and accurate accounts of all receipts and disbursements of the Corporation in proper books of account shall be maintained to be delivered up upon direction from the board to such person or persons who may be named in a resolution passed by the board and facilitate archiving these documents on the board page of the web site;
- all moneys or other valuable effects in the name and to the credit of the Corporation shall be deposited in such financial institution(s) as may from time to time be designated by the board;
- the funds of the Corporation shall be disbursed under the direction of the board, using proper vouchers, invoices or receipts;
- a written account of the financial position of the Corporation shall be provided at each monthly board meeting and for the Annual Report
- full and accurate accounts of funds belonging to corporations or groups which are affiliated with the Corporation shall be maintained; and
- receipts shall be issued and members and guests shall be registered at monthly membership meetings.
- Signing authority for the board
- Monitor financial information on QuickBooks software including recording cheques written and deposits made, PayPal deposits, bank service charges, bank interest received, and reconciling monthly bank statements as prepared by the admin assistant.
- Provide financial information at board meetings as needed and request a vote where necessary
- Ensure cheques are co-signed by Treasurer and one of the other three board members with signing authority (President, Vice President, Secretary)
- Assist other board members with budget preparation for workshops and special events
- The Secretary will:
- act as clerk of the board and attend all meetings of the board;
- ensure that all facts and minutes of all proceedings are recorded and maintained in a business-like manner;
- be the custodian of the paper and electronic documents belonging to the Corporation, to be delivered up upon direction from the advisory board to such person or persons who may be named in a resolution passed by the board; and archive or supervise archiving of all documentation, minutes, forms, bylaws, etc. on Board page of website;
- prepare and distribute agendas, minutes and other materials as necessary in advance of board meetings; and
- be responsible for running the elections process at the Annual General Meeting.
- Post minutes of all meetings on Board Page
- Maintain record of any e-votes
- At AGM: Chair election, if required, for new board members
- Receive board nominations and retain
- Verify member status of nominees with Membership Co-ordinator
- Obtain bios from nominees
- Following AGM, submit update of sitting board members to the Ontario provincial government, Public Appointments Secretariat.
- Chair membership votes such as amendments to bylaws and record the results
- Obtain new board members bios and photos for posting on website
- Assist registration and check-in at RoundTable as needed
- Provide sister groups (WCYR, WCSC, etc.), legal and banking partners with list of new board members
- Provide backup for telephone messages as needed (or designate)
- Signing authority for the board
- Distribute “Ask A Writer” queries as they come in to appropriate resource.
- Accept registrations for breakfasts (members and guests) and maintain list of breakfasts and mini-workshop registrants; co-ordinate with Admin Assistant for accurate registration numbers.
- Liaise with Speaker Liaison on RoundTable speakers, and ensure arrangements for speaker breakfast, guest, space, etc. are confirmed
- Check WCDR sign up online in preparation of RoundTable
- Co-ordinate with Admin Assistant to check phone and email frequently for additional registrations, especially on days leading up to the RoundTable
- Advise other board members of messages if applicable
- Contact RoundTable venue to confirm numbers no later than noon of the Wednesday prior to the breakfast
- Send RoundTable-related e-mails to Web Admin and PR for distribution to the members
- At Board meeting prior to breakfast, arrange with other board members to have all the breakfast positions covered (someone to manage speaker, take money and registrations, introduce speaker, thank and pay speaker, sell door prize raffle tickets, membership inquiries, greet first-time guests)
- At breakfast:
- Bring to breakfast: WCDR signs, bulletin board, flyers from last breakfast, list of registrants for treasurer
- Arrive by 7:45 to ensure set up is correct and make any adjustments
- Handle Paypal registrants at the door (Asking another person to assist is recommended)
- make sure new members and guests have a WCDR ambassador to show them the ropes and introduce them to other members
- Liaise with venue staff on numbers, bring the invoice to treasurer for review and bring cheque to restaurant staff.
- Co-organize with Events for special RoundTable meetings such as Blue Pencil Bonanza, December Gift Giveaway, Pro Panel, July Member Celebration, etc.
- Seek out speakers/facilitators in co-ordination with other board members, for RoundTable meetings, Master Class full-day workshops and mini-workshops.
- Contact facilitators to invite them and arrange date and location.
- Serve as contact person to guest speakers/facilitators
- Provide facilitators with details regarding time, place, directions, format, audience, requested topic, etc.
- Request photo and bio to distribute to Web Admin, PR Co-ordinator, and Word Weaver editor
- Confirm facilitator attendance (closer to date) if necessary
- Arrange transportation, hotel and special requests for speakers, as needed
- Liaise with instructor to prepare budget and set price
- Arrange payment of speaker (for WCDR-sponsored workshops)
- Prepare workshop related emails, slides, and promo information to provide to Web Admin, PR Co-ordinator, and Word Weaver editor.
- Announce upcoming Master Class workshops at breakfasts
- Explain to speaker/facilitator the set fees: a $200 honorarium for RoundTable speakers, half the registration with a minimum of $500 for Master Class speakers and
- Track registration for workshops and maintain list for attendance.
- Arrange venue and refreshments for Master Class workshops.
- Liaise with Treasurer to obtain payment for venue and any other expenses if needed.
- Attend WCDR-sponsored workshop, or arrange for a designate, to co-ordinate things the day of the workshop
- Greet speaker (or find designate) and sit with speaker during breakfast (or find a designate)
- Arrange for introduction of speaker
- Provide a budget accounting of each WCDR sponsored workshop and facilitate instructor payment
Public Relations Co-ordinator
- Act as media liaison on behalf of WCDR, including answering any media requests for information via e-mail, phone, or over social media
- Maintain media distribution list
- Provide timely media releases or other promotional communications such as social media announcements, web postings etc. for the upcoming RoundTables.
- Where appropriate, send media releases before and after the breakfast to newspaper, print and radio sources (if the speaker was a big name, etc. – more as a news report.)
- Liaise with Charline Jones from Whistle Radio Stouffvile (a WCDR member) to arrange interviews with members who would like to appear on her radio show
- Liaise with volunteers to watch for mentions of WCDR in media outlets
- Report media mentions in print, radio or online to Board and membership
- Liaise with other Co-ordinators to include upcoming activities in communications
- Provide information of upcoming events, outings, celebrations, fundraisers, speakers and workshops to Word Weaver editor and Web Administrator
- Send out periodic media releases about special events, contest winners, etc. as required (or designate)
- Network and promote organization whenever possible
- Pursue paid advertising as required by the board; work with Word Weaver editor
- Liaise with the board and Events Co-ordinator to raise awareness for monthly RoundTable speakers and mini-workshop topics, MasterClasses, Bookapalooza, Pro Panel, Scholarships, Blue Pencil Bonanza, AGM, and July Member Celebrations.