Mission statement: The Writers’ Community of Durham Region encourages writers at all levels; offers opportunities for support, education and networking; and promotes the value of writers and writing.
Whether you are a fiction or non-fiction writer, poet, playwright, screenwriter, songwriter, editor or someone who loves the way words connect – make yourself at home on our website. Check out our Member Web Pages and Paeans pages to find out more about our active members. Sign up for WCDR-sponsored Workshops and events, preview upcoming guest speakers at our Breakfast Meetings, or read past issues of our newsletter, “Word Weaver.” Enter a WCDR sponsored contest or follow our links to the plethora of contest opportunities that are out there for poets, novelists, short story writers, memoirists, creative non-fiction writers and others.
We have also put together Links pages to other writing organizations and associations, as well as publications and miscellaneous resources. We offer help for writers on our Grammar Puss, Ask a Writer and Recommended Book List pages. Find out how to join WCDR and/or one of the local writing circles in and around Durham Region.
Whatever your interest, we hope that you will linger a while with us, and come back from time to time to see what’s new with The Writers’ Circle of Durham Region. The door’s always open.
- WHO? Our current membership includes a full range of published and yet-to-be-published members of all ages, from mature teens to seniors. New members are welcome, including those who are just beginning to explore their interest in writing.
- WHAT? We are dedicated to encouraging and promoting the art and skill of writing, fostering literacy and providing moral support to writers, poets, editors, songwriters, and illustrators through education and networking, both independently and in co-operation with existing organizations.
- WHEN? The monthly breakfast and networking session, The Writers and Editors Dialogue , is held the second Saturday of each month (except in August). WCDR-sponsored or affiliated events include various contests, workshops, literary festivals, a writers’ conference, and writing retreats. Writing circles, where works-in-progress are discussed and critiqued or where members write on the spot, generally meet once or twice each month. (You are welcome to attend of any of these events, whether or not you are a member of WCDR. Check our Join a Writing Circle page to inquire about membership in the local circles.)
- WHERE? WCDR is located in Durham Region (of course!) which is in Ontario, Canada, east of Metro Toronto. You do not have to live in Durham Region to participate in our activities, become a member of WCDR or enter our contests.
- WHY? Benefits of membership include subscriptions to our bi-monthly newsletter, the Word Weaver, and discounts at all WCDR sponsored workshops and monthly meetings. Visit our membership page for more information.
- HOW? We offer a variety of support structures and opportunities to encourage members to pursue excellence and personal growth in their craft. In addition to the groups, networking sessions and annual activities, we sponsor a wide range of affordable workshops and seminars throughout the year on a variety of topics.