Our SLAM AUDITIONS will be held on Monday, July 7th, at 7 PM at The Bear at 1294 Kingston Road, Pickering (Kingston and Liverpool).
Back for the fifth year in a row, the WCDR’s 2014 Summer SLAM promises to be a smash success!
What’s a slam?
A poetry slam is when a group of writers get together, read their work out loud, and have judges in the audience vote on the winner. Here, the judges will be voting on the finalists, who will then compete at the WCDR’s July breakfast meeting. The WCDR’s Summer SLAM looks like this:
• WCDR MEMBERS who wish to vie for a place at the July breakfast meeting will each have THREE MINUTES TOPS to perform an original piece of writing.
• CREATIVEJAMES (our own James Dewar) will host the audition round. The judges themselves will hold up Olympic-style cards to rate each competitor.
• The SEVEN highest-scoring slammers will advance to the FINAL ROUND to be held at the WCDR breakfast meeting on Saturday, July 14th.
• At that meeting, hosted by Dorothea Helms, The Writing Fairy, audience members will enjoy all 7 performances and then vote on a ballot for their favourite slammer.
• While the votes are being counted, We will be entertained by a prominent Slam performer from the Toronto scene (name to be advised shortly)
• The SLAM WINNER will take home the coveted WCDR SLAM GAVEL TROPHY and $100.00 cash!
Where is it happening?
Once again, our SLAM AUDITIONS will be held on Monday, July 7th, at 7 PM at The Bear at 1294 Kingston Road, Pickering (Kingston and Liverpool).
To get to the top, you have to audition, and to audition, you’ll need to register using the form at https://wcdr.ca/wcdr/registration-page-for-2013-summer-slam-auditions/
Come and compete, or just come and listen. We love an audience!